Hair loss, hair thinning, baldness or baldness are major problems that cause people to worry and lack self-confidence. Many people are looking for effective solutions. “Hair transplant” is a method that is very popular and has good results. Anyone who is thinking of having a hair transplant, but still has many questions, whether it is the cause, how to do hair transplantation, and which clinic to choose? Today I have an in-depth answer that everyone should know before getting a hair transplant!! You have to get a well hair transplant.
Table of Contents
Why do I have to get hair transplanted?
Hair transplants are intended to increase confidence and improve personality. It is a type of cosmetic surgery. Hair transplants are also often used to treat androgenetic alopecia caused by family baldness genes. It is also used in combination with treatment in patients with hormonal changes leading to baldness.
What is hair transplant ?
Hair Transplantation is a form of skin surgery for thicker and more voluminous hair transplants by moving healthy hair follicle cells from one area to another area that needs hair transplant. Hair will grow completely within 12-18 months. Nowadays, people are increasingly choosing hair transplants because they can adjust their appearance and enhance their confidence to look younger again.
What causes hair loss, thinning hair or baldness?
1. Heredity: Hair thinning or baldness can be found in both men and women. Is it caused by Testosterone or Dihydrotestosterone. It will result in the hair getting smaller and smaller. It must be explained that this hormone is already present in a woman’s body in small amounts, but as she ages, estrogen decreases, making this hormone more dominant. It results in hair loss and thinning starting in the middle of the head before widening. Men will start from the front area.
2. Chemicals: There are many causes, including dyeing, perming, dyeing, bleaching. The more you use non-standard chemicals, the more noticeable your hair begins to thin and fall out. We recommend consulting a doctor for advice. Another cause is due to taking certain drugs that affect hair loss or hair loss, such as thyroid patients, cancer patients.
3. Hormones: Hormonal changes can result in hair loss. such as mothers during pregnancy or the postpartum period. It will return to normal equilibrium within 3-6 months itself.
4. Nutrients: Certain nutrients are good for your hair, such as protein, omega-3s, and B vitamins. Lack of these nutrients can result in hair cessation, dryness and shedding. However, the most common cause is genetics which accounts for more than 90%. Other causes are very rare or about 5-10%.
How many types of hair transplants are there?
1. Hair transplant FUT : Follicular Unit Transplantation is a hair transplant which is an early surgery. It’s not very popular nowadays. The surgeon will take the scalp in the hair-bearing area or the occipital area and suture it to the area that needs hair transplantation. It is suitable for people who need a lot of transplants at a time. The area where the scalp is removed may become scarred by the stitches later. It is prone to infection due to long recovery times.
2. Hair transplant FUE : Follicular Unit Extraction is a hair transplant that has been developed from the old one by piercing the hair follicle cells one by one (graft) in the occipital area, which is the area that is the most healthy and has the least effect of DHT hormone. This method is very popular because it does not require surgical scarring and reduces the risk of infection. However, the quality of the hair follicle cells may decrease slightly because they have to rest outside the body while the hair follicle cells are completely taken out as required for transplant. The doctor must specialize in maintaining the quality so that the hair follicle cells do not bruise. This will cause scarring at the puncture point as well.
3. Hair transplant GHI : Gun Hair Implantation is a permanent hair transplant with a type of FUE technique. There is a process for drilling the chart at the Donor Area as well. In the traditional FUE technique, the doctor will first insert a needle into the scalp and use forceps to pinch the hair graft into the puncture. In GHI technique, it can embroider and hair transplant one strand at a time with a specialized tool called GHI Implanter.
4. Long Hair GHI is a permanent hair transplant because it moves the entire hair follicle without shaving. Another special thing is that we transplant using a special GHI Implanter for long hair. You can be assured of hair transplants. This new technique will be very difficult to spot if you have had a hair transplant, unless your face is so young that people around you feel the change and your facial contours are clear.
Preparation before hair transplant
1 week before treatment
- If there is a regular medication, always inform the doctor first in order to consider stopping certain groups of drugs before doing hair transplant./span>
- Minoxidill or Rogaine, aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs containing aspirin, vitamin E, fish oil and all medications related to blood clotting should be avoided. Other medications can be taken normally.
- Should stop using hair styling oil, hair perm, hair dye, hair straightener, hair straightener or other strange chemicals before hair transplant at least 2 weeks.
- After hair transplant FUE, you cannot color your hair for at least 1 month.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol and smoking.
1 day before treatment
- Wear a button-front shirt to avoid messing the graft.
- Wash your hair with antiseptic shampoo and blow dry 1 night before the treatment.
- It is advisable to bring a friend or someone along as you should not drive yourself. You will need to take antibiotics and may feel dizzy or drowsy.
- Arrive at the clinic at the appointed time.
Hair transplant procedures
Step 1: Preparation for hair transplant
Hair transplant aims to increase confidence and improve personality. It is considered a type of cosmetic surgery. Hair transplants are also often used to treat androgenetic alopecia from family baldness genes. It is also used in conjunction with treatment in patients with hormonal changes leading to baldness.
Step 2: Piercing to extract hair follicle cells
The doctor will inject an anesthetic into the occipital area and use a piercing tool with a diameter of only 0.6-0.8 mm. It takes precision and meticulousness to select only the healthiest hair. The doctor must be careful not to affect the hair follicle cells.
Step 3: Perforation of the scalp for new hair transplant
The doctor will inject an anesthetic in the front of the head where the hair transplant will be performed, and use a small needle to poke a small hole in the area to be hair transplanted and use a small pointed forceps to hold the graft down to the deepest place. It is like moving new hair follicle cells into transplant. This procedure requires a lot of expertise of the doctor as it requires meticulous work to arrange the hair as dense and as close as possible to the patient’s natural hair while doing it as quickly as possible. It is to maintain the quality of the hair follicle cells intact and allow the hair to grow, be strong and with minimal recovery.
Step 4 : Hair implantation (graft)
After completing the treatment process which takes about 4-6 hours or more, the surgeon will clean the wound, cover the wound and then put on the patient a hat to prevent the graft from affecting the graft.
Step 5 : Close the wound
Once the hair transplant is complete, the surgeon will cover the wound with gauze as the last step for 1-2 days to prevent any damage and follow up at 1 year.
Self-care after hair transplant.
The doctor will always advise and reiterate the patient about self-care for the best and most effective results. Strictly guided self-care is one of the ways to see results faster.
- The clinic will provide medication and advice on how to take care yourself at home. If there is pain, you should take painkillers and take antibiotics to prevent inflammation.
- The patient can remove the bandage around the head after the hair transplant is done 5-7 days and can work normally within 5-7 days.
- During 2 weeks after hair transplant, you can wash your hair with baby shampoo and sponge and refrain from scratching your hair vigorously.
- About 3 weeks after a hair transplant, you may experience Shock Loss which is only temporary. About 6 months to 9 months, your hair will grow. But if the hair is still not growing, we recommend that you see a doctor for advice.
- During 4 weeks after hair transplant, you should wear a hat to avoid direct sun and wind.
- If there are any abnormal symptoms. For example, itching, swollen scalp, bruising around the eyes, infection and lymph nodes around the wound. You should see a doctor immediately.
Why do you have to choose a hair transplant at YKJ Medical Center?
- Theerathorn clinic has a team of specialized doctors with expertise and medical knowledge. Our doctors have studied hair transplant since the second generation in Thailand to maintain the safety standards of patients as important.
- Theerathorn clinic always studies and develops hair transplant techniques and chooses the most effective technology that can answer the patient’s needs.
- Theerathorn clinic provides advice and make appointments for continuous follow-up care to ensure that every hair transplant case has never had a problem. The doctor is strict in caring.
Therefore, before thinking of hair transplant, each time you need to study the information carefully and thoroughly. You should choose a doctor who specializes in a specific area or has a team of doctors who are very skilled and have direct experience. It has to be a clean and standardized clinic and you will definitely get satisfactory results.